Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Sea shell hunts

Katie:  are pink dolphins true?
She said while gazing into a morning beach.
Lexie's gaze just as dreamy,
Replies :  I know they are.



And I can only smile and hear god breathing in the tide.

When lexie found a sea shell
She holds it up high for a treasure
And I see a small broken shell hardly worth keeping
With fields of others strewn out before our toes
I would rather keep walking and spot from up high
Searching for special stand outs at a glance
But katie picks up scraps of shells and inspects.

They will be kept for hardly any reason
Their worth is in their existence
And they find excuses for significance:
A hole, a speckle, a bumpy ridge that would make a neat imprint
A pretty pink, a smooth side, a perfect swirl
When these attributes get used up they grow more creative
-a little seat for a ladybug to sit on,
-a river stone that skipped all the way to the shore

It isn't hard for them
It isn't hard at all
To find a reason to cherish every beach shell.
At the sea, wonder is common

And I remember grandma
That at her passing
She began to ask  questions about the shore
-and she the Nebraskan native, lived her entire life landlocked-
Claimed to hear water pouring onto a beach
- where was she? Had she been here before?
And then a calm, final comment:
I hear the ocean.
Like one of the shells,
It washed over her and silence covered with depths of peace.

And the memory washes me now
softening the Calloused pain
That once ached eternally


I find so many things connected-
The sea, the shells, my grandmother and my daughters
And quiet loves I never let my heart live through
They float before me with a oneness,
Merging pain and joys together into spiritual swells.

The skyline before me is vast and plain with holy simplicity.

The story of the tide and the comfort of the shore
- I am swept into humanity.

Voices awaken, people emerge,
And I am no longer alone.
they walk with heads down,
looking for sea shells.



















No comments:

Post a Comment