Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Cleared out

While the mornings are still cool
With promise
And shadows cast a long still presence
Summer flirts with me
the temptress whispers
Saturday markets,
Garden vegetables and berries
She says
Sleep in
Drink two cups
And write all day.
She beckons,
No work
Your holiday
We can play all day 

But, by mid June
I detest her.
her prostituted hours are stolen
With every day chores
And the catch up ones
Paint, trim, kids to practice,
Pushes so strongly
That a morning cup is even missed.

While the fire pit sits empty ashed,
Heat index too high for mellows, 
s'mores of gooey fun arent even discussed
A charred puff
Could only be a metaphor 
Of the afternoons
And garden witherings that droop
And drop off the vines sans fruit.

Summer sun
You temptress, you are lies.
You are all things hoped for and then
A falling too hard.
You clean me out,
Expose my beauty and then walk away while I'm still naked
And waiting 
You squelch my tender flowers
And  leave me 
praying for September.

No comments:

Post a Comment