Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I asked for good things

I asked for good things.
Not selfishly
Or out of reach.
Just normal.
American things.
Middle class caucasian things
Upwardly mobile of course.
They aren't bad things.

But my home went into foreclosure
While I had a good paying job.
My ovaries made eggs
But the lining wouldn't hold
And children got crossed off.
I paid enough
And was given two.
But I wanted a house full
And to stay home to teach them
But my womb closed up
And rotted
While I went stressed out to care for others' blessings
And they quietly and quickly grew
Outside of the size of my lap.

I prayed humbly for another
Or another two.
But no amount could allow my wishful control

No more courting life
No more joy of brightness

Infertile. Empty bed. Unproductive life.

So I asked for Africa...
And I asked for a child not my own
I asked for France
I asked for Haiti, asked for kingdoms and countries and 
To these,
You firmly touted:
No.

And I can wonder why and detest the strife
 For it is hard work to long so much
And I can eye the jones's happy life
Whose inside walls may be furniture and pictureless
But the outside is perfection
And fescued dreams
And I, like David,
Have glimpsed into their gardens.

It makes my coffee bitter
And then I growl at the kids.
And when I growl at the kids
The dog barks and I forget to water the lawn
And my house begins to crumble
Just a long the edges...

So I choose to offer up my questions
And let them hang like the caterpillars' who are yous...
Just floating and drifting into the air
Accepting soft rebukes:

Beware the sin of comparison.
As if I didn't know.
Simple, subtle.
Full of hesitance - 
I turn to the dead lot behind my house
And bury dreams in the dirt.
Knowing one day
Rains will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment