Wednesday, April 6, 2011

May the Righteous be Glad and Rejoice Before God

Five years old has been a year of whining. My girls turn six this week and my greatest praise is that they are learning to be content. They ask less often for ice cream for breakfast and they fuss less when it is time for bed. They are learning, I guess, that although there is a world of opportunity out there and sparkly, sugary things to grab - sometimes mom just knows best. They takee me at my word now with less dejection. And by any means it is not always. Just yesterday we cried for a bike ride in the middle of a thunderstorm, but we are getting there and I see progress. And I cannot help but think, Praise God! They are finally learning the obvious!

But when I turn in my devotions, and I see Israelites acting like children - I remember I too am called a child of God. And I wonder- am I learning to believe the obvious? If I know that I know that God is good and has great plans for me, why do I so persist in mine? The last few weeks I have been quiet inside, wonderig if my career path is chosen for me. Really, though, I have been begging for a new thing to do. I have not been content before the Lord - and if I am not even content, then how can I rejoice and praise him? And how will others know and yearn for him - not from my example.

So today I turn back and say this prayer. May the righteous be glad and rejoice before God (Psalm 68:3). He daily bears our burdens. Let not my restlessness be a burden to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment