Friday, March 25, 2011

Homing Device?

I recently read a book in which a character confided she secretly believed that books were created with some kind of homing device so that they get into the hands of the reader who is meant to hear those particular words. I immediatley nodded and agreed with the character - for how many times have I read a line from a book and then felt like the author had been listening in on me and my life and my dreams. Maybe it just means I am not so unique - but I more honeslty believe that somehow the book floated down to me from some geneological line that was menat to be.

Just tonight I grabbed a book to read that I have no idea why I even bought. It was on sale, next to one my friend was buying. Truly, I had hemmed and hawed about five other books that I know I WANT to buy - and they were even cheaper but for some reason I put them all back on the shelf. Then, this book book of Essential Writings by Albert Schweitzer (of whom I had scarcely heard)found its way into my hands and I took it home. I opened it this evening (bending the cover for the very first time)- to the table of contents, just to see if any essays would be interesting. And there it was: an entire chapter on Africa. and I had to look up and remember the words about the homing device. Because why oh why does everything I do come back to this continent? Only now, I ammend this homing device theory and attribute it all to God. Dropping words from heaven, he finds me.

After reading Chapter One of Schweitzer:
Dropping words form Heaven,
He tells me
a man can live what he believes.

We must do "something small in the spirit of Jesus"
Not something big
in our own weak spirit.

Such a contrary thing
and yet so mistakably similiar
often in our dreams.

I pray for quiet moments
to feel the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment