Monday, August 2, 2010

I pray to be like Solomon
who in his wisdom knew
that fear of the Lord
begins a track that leads right up to lady wisdom.
If God asked me for what I want
(and I think he did. He does.)
I know my answers not as smart
as Solomon and his.

I pray each day for children
for blessings to be born
I pray for envelopes of freedom
to drop upon my door.
Wrong-mindedness entangles me,
intrudes upon my prayers.
I look to Solomon for schooling
and nod a thanks before I bow again,
and rethink my meditation.

I pray to be like Paul.
He too was a heady soul,
confessing his should and should nots
alongside his did and did nots.
Self condemning and prudent confessing,
he lived my story too
-only more dramatic and dynamic.

Joseph and his shrewdness
Esther and her courage
Job and his endurance
Ruth and her selflessness

These stories stay with me
as I head out the door
facing no real challenge, no real suffering
and I pray a prayer of my own thankfulness
as I jealously yearn for vision and permanence.

No comments:

Post a Comment